Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday in Misha's Coffee Shop

Outside, it is cloudy and not super hot. The coffee is good, but I should have probably gotten decaf. Already getting the jitters. I am really blessed right now because my friend Brian Krebs is hosting me at his house. I have my own couch and everything. It is lovely.

Except maybe for the mosquitos. My legs look like I got the chicken pox again.

News of the day: Madrid is basically in total turmoil. According to El Pais, Spain's unemployment rate has doubled in the last three years. So Spain's workers are doing what they do best: A huelga (strike). When I lived in Madrid in 2008 the truckers went on strike and we had to wait for the weekends when they would break their strike to get fresh fruit and meat. I also remember the metro sanitation crew going on strike. The normally pristine metro stations piled up with trash--though by the end of the strike it was still a cleaner system than the NYC subway.

Anyway, this time around the sanitation crew isn't picking up trash, busses are operating at about 50 percent, the light rail train is running at about 25%, picketers are forcing stores to close in the city center etc.

On a lighter note, Brian just informed me that it is some kind of coffee appreciation day. Which is basically every day, is it not?

Cheers,
Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment